A man and a woman have been rescued from their burning house by firefighters last night in Tunstall.
Crews from Sandyford, Burslem and Newcastle were alerted to a house fire on Railway Street at 11.20pm and on arrival heard people shouting from an upstairs window.
Crews forced entry to the property and began to tackle the fire in the lounge using a hose reel jet whilst another crew smashed the bedroom window and used a ladder to rescue the couple.
Station Manager, Ian Housley said: “The fire had started in the lounge and the most likely cause is the television being left on standby, which then caught fire. The property has been left severely smoke logged and it is pure luck that these people are still alive as they did not have any smoke alarms in the property.
“They were both in bedroom at the time of the fire and when they realised there was a fire, they closed the bedroom door and put duvets around the bottom of it to prevent smoke from entering. Luckily, they were not already fast asleep otherwise they would have been none the wiser.
“Smoke alarms are essential as they give you those precious few minutes extra warning - there shouldn’t be any excuse for people to not have working smoke alarms as we fit them free of charge, as part of our free Home Fire Risk Check.
“We would also remind people that they should close all doors at night and not leave appliances on standby, as not only does this pose a fire risk it also uses power. We can advise people about such things during a Home Fire Risk Check and anyone in Staffordshire can call 0800 0241 999 and book one now for free– help us to help keep you safe from fire in your home.”
Both casualties were treated at the scene by paramedics and then taken to hospital. The incident was closed at 12.30am.
To book a free Home Fire Risk Check contact: 0800 0241 999. You can also book online at http://www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/bookyourhfrc.asp. For all other non emergency enquiries contact: 08451 22 11 55 or log onto: www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk or www.direct.gov.uk/firekills. In an emergency dial 999.