Police are urging people to take simple crime prevention measures to protect themselves against theft while using ATM cash points.
The advice comes after two men were arrested in connection with tampering with cash points and are currently in police custody.
The men, aged 26 and 37 from the Oldham area, were arrested in Longton town centre just before 8.30pm last night, Thursday 16 February, after being observed acting suspiciously near cash points.
The men have been taken to the force’s Northern Area Custody Facility (NACF) where they are being questioned.
Police are also investigating suspicious activity around the cash point at Tesco in Kidsgrove yesterday afternoon, although it is yet to be determined whether or not this is connected to the incident in Longton.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact DC Jeff Taylor at Staffordshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 685 of February 16, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
If you are concerned about withdrawals from your bank account please contact your bank immediately.
Please follow these crime reduction tips when using an ATM:
- Always check the machine hasn’t been tampered with - check for anything which looks like it has been added and make sure there is nothing overhead that can film or photograph the pin number being entered.
- Don’t get distracted by anyone when using an ATM machine.
- If you see someone acting suspiciously nearby, don’t use the machine and report it to the bank and police.
- Keep your PIN number safe and cover the keypad so the numbers you’re entering can’t be seen.
- Don’t ask people to withdraw cash on your behalf and never give details of your card or bank account to anyone.