ACTIONS FOR ALL DRIVERSYour vehicle must be in good working order, this is...
ACTIONS FOR ALL DRIVERS
Your vehicle must be in good working order, this is especially important during winter conditions. However, before setting out:
- Clear your windscreens, mirrors and lights.
- Check number plates are clear of snow.
- Check washer reservoirs are full with winter screen wash.
- Clean vehicle lights and check they are working correctly.
- Check tyres are in good condition and correctly inflated.
- Keep your fuel tank near to full to ensure that you do not run out.
- Keep your mobile phone fully charged, so you can call for help or alert someone if you're delayed.
- Ensure you have sufficient warm clothing, footwear and a torch - BE PREPARED.
- Consider telling a colleague where you are going and what time you hope to arrive, so that they can raise the alarm if you get into difficulties.
- Plan alternative routes in advance, in case your main choice becomes impassable.
During the journey:
- Drive at reduced speed.
- Think ahead, anticipate hazards early, remain two vehicle lengths apart from vehicles in front.
- Use the busiest lanes of road where traffic has cleared the road surface of ice and snow.
- Beware of concealed potholes and road debris.
- Accelerate and brake gently using as high a gear as possible to avoid wheel spin.
- If the vehicle skids, steer into the skid. Keep feet off the brake and accelerator until the vehicle stops skidding; use as high a gear as possible.
and finally...is the journey really necessary?