Sprinklers save Fenton business from potentially devastating fire
A potentially devastating blaze has been avoided at a Stoke-on-Trent business thanks to the installation of a sprinkler system.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is reinforcing its call for all commercial premises to fit the safety system following the incident yesterday.
The fire broke out in an engine room at the City Road site in Fenton at 6.45pm.
One of the two diesel engines located in the outbuilding caught fire following an electrical fault. The sprinklers immediately went into action, pouring litres of water over the flames.
The engines are used to power the main sprinkler system which is installed in the primary businesses premises, next to the engine room.
Crews from Longton and Hanley used two sets of breathing apparatus and a compressed air foam system to put out the fire.
They were able to fully extinguish the blaze within minutes thanks to the instant activation of the sprinklers.
Operational Assurance Manager Brian Griffiths said: “This incident demonstrates just how vital sprinkler systems are in minimising the impact that a fire can have on a business. By the time crews arrived at the scene, the fire had been almost completely extinguished and hadn’t had the opportunity to seriously damage the outbuilding or spread to other parts of the site.
“It is a recognised fact that 85 per cent of small and medium sized businesses that suffer a serious fire either never recover or cease trading within 18 months. The installation of sprinklers in these types of premises could prevent this. Losses due to fire would reduce and fewer businesses would be forced to relocate.
“They are also an incredibly important safety feature and help to save lives, both in business premises and homes.”
For more information on sprinklers visit http://www.staffordshirefire.