Following on from the dog attack on a little girl living on the Bankeyfields Estate, I'd like to know what the readers of MyTunstall think about dogs been kept on the lead. Please vote first, and leave your comments below.
Key facts and figures
- There are approximately 8 million dogs in UK.
- In England in 2008/09, there were over 5,000 hospital admissions resulting from being bitten or struck by a dog (excludes people treated in minor injury units (MIU) or accident and emergency (A&E) departments, without being admitted as an inpatient).
- In 2009, dog attacks on people in England cost the Health Service £3.3 million.
- Estimate of 6,000 dog attacks on postmen/women each year.
- Police and local authorities have powers to seize dogs they consider to be dangerously out of control.
- Police, local authorities and animal welfare groups work together in some areas to promote responsible dog ownership.