Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to ‘Get Out and Stay Out’ in the event of a fire, following an incident in Basford this morning.
Crews from Newcastle, Sandyford and Hanley were called to a house on Sackville Street at 9.45am by a neighbour of the affected house.
She stated her elderly neighbour was still inside and that there was a fire in progress. On arrival, firefighters found both adults waiting outside.
Station Manager, Ed Case said: “The 78 year old man in the affected property had been alerted to the fire by smoke alarms we have previously fitted for him however he tried to tackle the fire himself instead of evacuating immediately.
“When the man’s neighbour became aware of the fire she immediately called us and then entered her neighbour’s house to lead him out.
“He had turned on the cooker hob but activated the wrong hob by mistake, which led to a chip pan catching fire. He then attempted to put the fire out by putting water onto it, which actually made it worse and caused it to spread further.
“He then left the room but went back in again to this time try and remove the chip pan from the hob, which was when his neighbour appeared and brought him outside.
“We would urge people to get out and stay out if you have a fire – please don’t try to tackle it yourself as you could end up seriously hurt or worse.
“Luckily the man has escaped being burnt but has been taken to hospital for precautionary checks as he has suffered some smoke inhalation. The kitchen has been extensively damaged by the fire and the rest of the house is smoke logged.
“Please put your safety first in the event of a fire. We appreciate that people’s first thoughts during what appears to be a minor fire may be to deal with it yourself but this often causes the situation to escalate instead. Call us instead and wait outside or if evacuating is not possible then a safe place as far away from the fire as possible.”
Yesterday crews from Leek attended a tumble dryer fire at the house of a woman in her seventies who also did not evacuate the premises upon discovery of a fire. She was led to safety by firefighters on their arrival.